Saturday, September 26, 2015

#3 - Canja in Curitiba


Here I am doing a "canja" or a sit in with the totally grooooovy Sergio Henrique at a local bar in the Brazilian city of Curitiba! I'm playing a cavaquinho, a small native ukulele type instrument but with steel strings. It's mostly used in Samba music but sure sounds great with the blues! After the song Sergio told me he's never ever heard a cavaquinho sound like that. This is "Lay Down Sally" by Eric Clapton. It's hard to get a sense of it here, but Sergio has a great voice. Reckless yet refined, he can give any rock singer a run for their money.

It's great to jam with people who don't speak your language. Here's what Tom Waits said about the blues: "The blues is like a planet. It's an enormous topic. You can't ignore the impact it's had... It's a tree that everyone is swinging from. Without it, I don't know where I would be. It's indelible and indispensable."

No comments: